Children or adults, everyone deserves to receive proper care when it comes to their oral health. This is because the condition of a person’s teeth, gums and mouth has an impact on their overall health and wellbeing. When it comes to your child’s oral health, pediatric dentistry would be what they need.
Providing proper oral health to your child may not be that easy as they are the ones who are prone to oral health problems and diseases. Children are also not easy to bring to the dentist because of their dental anxiety. You cannot also always expect them to be very cooperative during their dental procedures. But when you bring your child to a pediatric dentist, you can trust that they can handle these issues because they have the training as well as the experience when it comes to making your child feel relaxed and comfortable during their appointments. Seeking the professional help of the pediatric dentists can guarantee you that your child will be receiving the best oral health care they deserve.
Some of the services that pediatric dentists provide are the following:
- Assessment of your child’s risk of developing cavities and decay, as well as oral health exams for both the mother and the baby
- Preventive care to increase your child’s resistance to decay and cavities while using fluoride treatment and dental cleanings
- Habit counseling pertaining to thumb sucking and pacifier use
- Early detection, management and treatment of orthodontic conditions like overcrowded teeth, misaligned teeth, crooked teeth and improper bite
- Repair and fixing of cavities and other oral defects
- Detection and diagnosis of serious health conditions based on the conditions of your child’s oral health
- Gum disease prevention and treatment
- Treatment for dental trauma and injuries
Pediatric dentist can also perform certain procedures for the improvement of your child’s oral health, and some of them are listed below:
- Dental sealants Sealants can help protect your child’s teeth from cavities because they seal or cover the teeth’s ridges or grooves, especially the chewing surfaces of your teeth that easily trap food particles. If your child is given dental sealants, your child’s teeth can be protected for a long time and the spread of bacteria in their mouth can be easily managed and controlled.
- Topical fluoride Fluoride is useful and effective in increasing the teeth’s protection from decay. Fluoride can be found in water, toothpaste, mouth rinses and in certain types of foods. But if the amount of fluoride from these sources are not enough to provide your child the protection that they need, then a pediatric dentist can perform fluoride treatment for your child.
- Minor damages and fractures may be hard to avoid especially for children but there can be a solution for that. A pediatric dentist can perform bonding for your child. Bonding is a procedure done to cover minor flaws on the teeth with the use of tooth colored bonding materials.
- Root canal treatment When your child already gets their permanent tooth, extra care should be given to their oral health to help them keep their teeth for a lifetime. However, if they get to have a severely damaged permanent tooth, your child can also undergo a root canal treatment in order to save the tooth instead of extracting it.
Why is it important to bring your child to a pediatric dentist?
- Unlike a regular dentist, the pediatric dentist’s specialization is on the child’s oral health care. He went through the training required for him to be qualified to provide treatment and care for a child’s dental needs.
- Pediatric dentists already have the experience they need to be able to deal with children. They are skilled enough to make children feel comfortable and relaxed during their dental procedures.
- Pediatric dentists can provide comprehensive exam, and treatments concerning your child’s teeth and gums. They also have better understanding on the factors affecting the oral health of your child including their nutrition, diet as well as their habits.
For more information on pediatric dentistry, you can call Blue Ridge Family Dental at (707) 345-1137, or visit us at 292 Alamo Drive, Ste. 5, Vacaville, CA 95688.