The temporomandibular joints (TMJ) connect the skull and the jawbone to your lower jaw. These joints are used many times during the course of your day while you swallow, yawn, chew and speak. Pain in and around the TMJ may restrict movement and can be unpleasant.
Symptoms of Temporomandibular Joint Disorder:
- Pain in the jaw
- Pain, stuffiness or ringing in the ears
- Clicking or popping sound upon jaw movement
- Swelling on the sides of the face
- Change in the alignment of bottom and top teeth
- Frequent pain in the neck and/or head
- Limited opening of the mouth or locked jaw
- Muscle spasms in the jaw
Our dentists will be able to detect whether you are suffering from TMD disorder or not with the help of an X-Ray. If you are affected by the problem, we will guide you towards the appropriate treatments. The first step associated with TMD treatment is pain management. We may prescribe some medication and you will be asked to take a lot of rest. In addition, we will provide physical therapy to your jaws. There are some effective exercises that have the potential to treat TMD. You can simply follow them from the comfort of your home in order to realign the jaw. If these don’t work, you may have to go for surgical treatment to help you re-align your jaws.
Prevention and Control of TMD
Some simple steps can be taken to prevent TMD from occurring or becoming more severe:
- Relax your face and keep your teeth apart and lips together
- Avoid excess gum chewing
- Avoid grinding your teeth
- Use both sides of the mouth to chew your food
- Don't use the phone receiver by keeping it between your head and shoulder
- Practice good posture
- Do not rest your chin on the hand while sitting
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of TMD, contact Blue Ridge Family Dental in Vacaville, CA for appropriate diagnosis and treatment. Call us at (707) 345-1137.